I wanted to share with you the recipe for a filling and nutritious stew I made this afternoon. It’s perfect for using up vegetables and is really simple to make.
A couple of glugs of olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 sticks of celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 leeks, finely chopped
1 baking potato, chopped into 1 cm cubes
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 red chillies, finely sliced
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 veg stock cubes
1 x 400g tin of kidney beans
1 x 400g tin of haricot beans
1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, leeks and potato. Season well and cook for around 10 minutes.
2. Add the chillies and tomato puree and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes then fill the empty tin with water, adding that to the pan too. Turn the heat up to high and cook for another five minutes.
4. Add the stock cubes to the pan, along with 500ml of boiling water.
5. Turn the heat down to medium, add in all the beans and cook for a further ten minutes.
6. Serve in a bowl with some warmed, wholemeal pitta bread or sourdough.