The upper back muscles can become weak and overstretched if you spend long periods looking down at a computer, reading, driving etc. The following 3 exercises help improve posture by strengthening the upper back and shoulders. You can use a resistance band or a towel.
1. Position your hands about shoulder width apart. Keep your arms up and parallel to the group with a slight bend in your elbows.
2. Pull your arms apart and squeeze you shoulder blades. Hold for 3 secs then return the arms to start position. Perform 2 x 10 reps.
1. Bring the arms over the head with hands about shoulder width apart.
2. Pull the band apart whilst you draw the elbows straight down, and the band towards the back of your head. Keep your neck long and your head lifted. Keep resistance across the band throughout.
1. Position your hands wider than your shoulders in order to form a right angle with your elbows and arms.
2. By only moving at the shoulders, rotate the arms back to bring the band behind your head. Keep resistance across the band throughout.